March 25, 2007
MORAGA, Calif. - The women's tennis team dropped its second consecutive match on Sunday, losing to the No. 70 Saint Mary's Gaels 7-0 in Moraga. Santa Clara could not break through for a win in any of the doubles matches and lost in straight sets in all of the singles matches.
With Stephanie Galainena out with an injury, the Broncos slotted Meghan Madden in alongside Lindsay McBride at No. 2 doubles. However, the newly formed duo could not overcome Stef Ordoveza and Femke Strijbis and fell 8-2. Casey Knutson and Erika Barnes also lost by the same 8-2 score, while Kim Daniel and Myra Davoudi dropped an 8-3 decision to Erin Young and Marah Calvo.
The singles matches also proved difficult for SCU as no one could grab a victory against the highly-touted Gaels, who are 13-1 this season. Daniel moved up to the No. 3 spot, but she fell to Strijbis 6-3, 6-1, while McBride moved to the fourth position and lost to Marah Calvo 6-1, 6-0. Madden, playing her second singles match in a dual, fell to Ordoveza 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6.
At No. 1 and No. 2, Knutson and Davoudi fell by 6-4, 6-2 and 6-1, 6-1 scores respectively.
The Broncos return to action with a rematch against the San Francisco Dons on Sunday, April 1. The match begins at 11:00 a.m. PT in San Francisco. Santa Clara won the first meeting 4-3 in dramatic fashion.
No. 70 Saint Mary's def. Santa Clara 7-0
1. SMC Aude Lambert/Jessica Hoath def. SCU Erika Barnes/Casey Knutson 8-2
2. SMC Stef Ordoveza/Femke Strijbis def. SCU Meghan Madden/Lindsay McBride def. 8-2
3. SMC Marah Calvo/Erin Young def. SCU Kim Daniel/Myra Davoudi 8-3
1. SMC Aude Lambert def. SCU Casey Knutson 6-3, 6-2
2. SMC Jessica Hoath def. SCU Myra Davoudi 6-1, 6-1
3. SMC Femke Strijbis def. SCU Kim Daniel 6-1, 6-1
4. SMC Marah Calvo def. SCU Lindsay McBride 6-1, 6-0
5. SMC Erin Young def. SCU Erika Barnes 6-2, 6-4
6. SMC Stef Ordoveza def. SCU Meghan Madden 6-2, 6-0