April 22, 2006
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Trying to overcome the loss of its number one seed, the Santa Clara University women's tennis team dropped a 4-1 battle to the University of Portland Saturday in the consolation round of the West Coast Conference Championships at the Degheri Tennis Center.
With the loss, the sixth-seeded Broncos dropped to 6-13 on the season and will play Gonzaga Sunday morning at 9 a.m. for seventh-place in the league standings. Portland advanced to face San Francisco in the fifth-place match at 11 a.m. The third-place match is scheduled for 1 p.m., while the championship bout will begin at 3 p.m. All matches are beging played on the SCU campus.
"I was exceptionally proud of the way our team battled today, despite having the top-seeded player drop out of the tournament," said SCU head coach Damon Coupe. "The girls really rallied together, fought hard and played with a lot of heart. I really have to commend them.
"By the same token, Portland played really excellent tennis today. They smelled blood and they took advantage of the opportunities that presented themselves. I really need to give them credit for a good win."
After dropping the doubles point after mixing together different lineups just prior to match time, the Broncos Casey Knutson earned the Broncos a point to even the the match with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Portland's Lindsey Griffin at the number one position.
Erika Barnes battled to a 7-5 loss in the first set against Jenna Tanzer of Portland, but dropped the second set 6-3 to give the edge back to the Pilots before the match was decided at UP won the numbers two and six slots.
2006 WCC Championships - Second Round
Portland 4, Santa Clara 1
1. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Lindsey Griffin (POR), 6-2, 6-3
2. Jaclyn Soltysik (POR) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Kim Daniel (SCU) vs. Chrstina Feyen (POR), DNF
4. Jenna Tanzer (POR) def. Erika Barnes (SCU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Myra Davoudi (SCU) vs. Katie Kennel (POR), DNF
6. Anna Gullickson (POR) def. Stephanie Herrmann (SCU), 6-4, 6-3
1. Griffin/Kennel (POR) def. Knutson/Galainena (SCU), 8-2
2. Tanzer/Gullickson (POR) vs. Daniel/Davoudi (SCU), DNF
3. Feyen/Sammis (POR) def. Barnes/Herrmann (SCU) 8-3