Broncos Lose on the Road to No. 24 Bulldogs
April 15, 2006
Fresno State, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis fell to a strong and powerful Fresno State squad Saturday on the road, as the Bulldogs dispatched the Broncos by a score of 7-0. Despite the score, Santa Clara exerted all effort in the dual match and head coach Damon Coupe was pleased with the way his squad played in despite of the tough road conditions.
"It was a great effort by our team to play a ranked opponent on the road on their home court," said Coupe. "We obviously would have liked to come away with a win, but I'm happy with our effort the girls put forth."
Santa Clara drops its record to 6-10 on the year and will return to action on Wednesday with an away match with No. 11 California. Game time is set for 3 p.m.
In doubles, Fresno State swept all three matches convincingly to take an early 1-0 lead. The Bulldogs' strength in singles action showed, as all six matches were won in straight sets, although Myra Davoudi was able to push her opponent to a tiebreaker in the first set. First off the court was Kim Daniel, as she dropped a 6-1, 6-2 decision to Lucia Sainz at the No. 3 spot, while No. 96 Katharina Winterhalter took out Casey Knutson 6-2, 6-0 on Court 2. Magdalena Haskett clinched the match for Fresno State as she beat Stephanie Galainena 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 4 position. Next off the court was Kelly Leathers, as she fell to No. 21 Melanie Gloria 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 1 spot, while Erika Barnes was defeated 6-3, 6-0 by Jacqueline Haskett on Court 5. Finally, Davoudi extended Bruna Paes in the first set, but ultimately lost 7-6 (2), 6-2 to conclude the dual match.
Fresno State 7, Santa Clara 0
Doubles (Fresno State wins the doubles point)
1) No. 6 Lucia Sainz/Katharina Winterhalter (FS) def. Erika Barnes/Stephanie Galainena (SCU) 8-1
2) Tinesta Rowe/Magdalena Tokarsak (FS) def. Myra Davoudi/Kelly Leathers (SC), 8-3
3) No. 51 Melanie Gloria/Jacqueline Haskett (FS) def. Kim Daniel/Casey Knutson (SC), 8-1
1) No. 21 Melanie Gloria (FS) def. Kelly Leathers (SC), 6-1, 6-2
2) No. 96 Katharina Winterhalter (FS) def. Casey Knutson (SC), 6-2, 6-0
3) Lucia Sainz (FS) def. Kim Daniel (SC), 6-1, 6-2
4) Magdalena Tokarska (FS) def. Stephanie Galainena (SC), 6-2, 6-3
5) Jacqueline Haskett (FS) def. Erika Barnes (SC), 6-3, 6-0
6) Bruna Paes (FS) def. Myra Davoudi (SC), 7-6 (2), 6-2