Feb. 10, 2006
Spokane, Wash. - A long day of travel can wear on many teams, but not for the Santa Clara women's tennis team, as they defeated host Gonzaga tonight 4-2 at the Spokane Athletic Club. Up since the wee hours of the morning, the travel-weary Broncos had a nightcap match against the Bulldogs, a fellow West Coast Conference rival, after traveling all day from California to Washington. However, SCU managed to fight through the fatigue to pull off the victory.
"Today was a tough day emotionally and physically. Most of us had been up since 5:30 a.m. and to travel and play a night match all on the same day was rough," stated head coach Damon Coupe. "I'm just proud of the girls that they were able to compete hard and get the job done."
Led Erika Barnes, who blanked her opponent Courtney Lau 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 4 spot, the Broncos won all four necessary points in straight sets. Samantha Georgino dominated on Court 2, defeating Carrie Schofield 6-2, 6-0, while Myra Davoudi easily took out Erica Moldenhauer 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 5 spot. Stephanie Herrmann made her dual match debut with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Katie Colton at the No. 6 position. The Bulldogs secured victories at the No. 1 and 3 spots to account for the final margin.
Santa Clara (3-4) returns to action tomorrow afternoon when it travels to Pullman, Wash. to battle Washington State. Game time is set for 2:30 p.m.
1. Emily Anderson (GON) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU), 2-6, 6-4, 1-0
2. Samantha Georgino (SCU) def. Carrie Schofield (GON), 6-2, 6-0
3. Erin Humphrey (GON) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Courtney Lau (GON), 6-0, 6-0
5. Myra Davoudi (SCU) def. Erica Moldenhauer (GON), 6-1, 6-1
6. Stephanie Herrmann (SCU) def. Katie Colton (GON), 6-1, 6-3
Doubles was not played.