Santa Clara Drops Tough 5-1 Decision to No. 69 UC Santa Barbara
Feb. 4, 2006
Santa Clara, Calif. - After beating Nevada 5-2 yesterday at the Degheri Tennis Center, the Santa Clara women's tennis team was unable to fashion the same result this morning, falling to No. 69 UC Santa Barbara 5-1. Because of weather conditions, doubles play was abandoned and the two squads went straight to singles. Despite the somewhat lopsided score, the Broncos fought hard in all the matches and three of the losses went to three sets.
"It was a hard fought-match. Unfortunately, we just got out competed during the pressure points and that was the difference today," said head coach Damon Coupe.
Garnering the lone Bronco point was Erika Barnes, who played up a spot at the No. 5 spot and defeated Kristen Wilson 6-3, 6-1. Other Santa Clara highlights include the three-set battles that Samantha Georgino, Stephanie Galainena, and Casey Knutson endured on Courts 2, 3, and 4.
Santa Clara falls to 2-4 on the year and returns to action next Friday when it travels to Spokane, Wash. to take on Pac-10 rival Washington State. Game time is set for 2 p.m.
No. 69 UC Santa Barbara 5, Santa Clara 1
1. Chelsea Glynn (UCSB) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Andrea Pintar (UCSB) def. Samantha Georgino (SCU), 5-7, 6-4, 7-6
3. Charlotte Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Leslie Damion (UCSB) def. Casey Knutson (SCU), 7-5, 5-7, 6-1
5. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Kristen Wilson (UCSB), 6-3, 6-1
6. Mio Fukushima (UCSB) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU), 7-5, 6-2
Note: No doubles were played due to rain