No. 27 Ducks Take Down Broncos 6-1
Jan. 27, 2006
Eugene, Ore. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team battled hard tonight against No. 27 Oregon tonight up in Eugene, Ore., but despite the best efforts of the Broncos, the Ducks ultimately took the dual match by a score of 6-1. While the final tally may have been lopsided, the play out on the court was anything but and head coach Damon Coupe was impressed with the way his squad handled the difficult road environment. Freshman Samantha Georgino earned her first collegiate singles victory and junior Erika Barnes was tough in her two-set defeat.
"It was a tremendous effort by Samantha to pull out the victory. It showed a lot of poise by her, especially in a hostile environment," commented Coupe. "Also, Erika Barnes played extremely well, pushing her opponent to the limits."
The Ducks struck first in doubles, as Anna Leksinka and Claudia Hirt defeated Erika Barnes and Casey Knutson 8-2 on Court 2. Oregon sewed up the doubles point at the No. 1 position after Dominika Dieskova and Ana Olivos beat Kelly Leathers and Samantha Georgino 8-1. Anna Powaska and Carmen Serementa at the No. 3 spot made it a UO sweep with an 8-5 triumph over Stephanie Galainena and Myra Davoudi.
In singles, Oregon won five of the singles matches in straight sets, but Barnes put up a fight at the No. 6 position, going down to Hirt 6-2, 7-6 (3). Georgino prevented the sweep with her gutsy 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (7) win over Powaska on Court 3.
"We came out loose and ready to play, but they came out on fire," stated Coupe. "I'm extremely proud of the girls for their performance today."
Oregon 6, Santa Clara 1
Doubles (Oregon wins the doubles point)
1. Dominika Dieskova/Ana Olivos (UO) def. Kelly Leathers/Samantha Georgino (SCU), 8-1
2. Anna Leksinka/Claudia Hirt (UO) def. Erika Barnes/Casey Knutson (SCU), 8-2
3. Anna Powaska/Carmen Seremeta (UO) def. Stephanie Galainena/Myra Davoudi (SCU), 8-5
1. Dominkia Dieskova (UO) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Ana Olivos (UO) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Samantha Georgino (SCU) def. Anna Powaska (UO), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (7)
4. Carmen Serementa (UO) def. Kim Daniel (SCU), 6-1, 6-4
5. Anna Leksinka (UO) def. Casey Knutson (SCU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Claudia Hirt (UO) def. Erika Barnes (SCU), 6-2, 7-6 (3)