Jan. 22, 2006
Santa Clara, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team opened up its season this afternoon and despite the inspiring efforts of redshirt junior Casey Knutson and junior Kim Daniel, the Broncos dropped a difficult 5-2 decision to the Mustangs. Knutson posted a straight-set victory over Maria Malec, while Daniel overcame a first-set deficit to hand Sheila Lewis the loss.
"It was our first match. We knew Cal Poly was going to come in to play because they had two matches under their belts. We fought hard, but there were just a few things here and there that hurt us," said head coach Damon Coupe. "I'm extremely happy about Casey and Kim's performance today. They really dug in deep and played intelligently."
In doubles action, Myra Davoudi and Stephanie Galainena took out Lewis and Malec 8-4 on Court 3, but it wasn't enough to give Santa Clara the doubles point, as Danon Beatty and Samantha Waller defeated Kelly Leathers and Samantha Georgino 8-3 at the No. 1 spot, while Cal Poly took the 1-0 lead after Carol Erickson and Amanda Varela put away Erika Barnes and Casey Knutson 8-5 at the No. 2 position.
Daniel and Knutson provided the highlights for the Broncos, as they each garnered victories to account for Santa Clara's two points. On Court 4, Daniel prevailed over Lewis 4-6, 7-5, 6-0, while Knutson took a 6-2, 7-5 triumph over Malec at the No. 5 spot. The Mustangs swept the remaining singles matches at the No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, and No. 6 positions
The Broncos fall to 0-1 on the season. Santa Clara returns to action on January 27 when it travels to Eugene, Ore. to take on the University of Oregon. Game time is set for 6 p.m.
Cal Poly 5, Santa Clara 2
Doubles (Cal Poly wins the doubles point)
1. Danon Beatty/Samantha Waller (CP) def. Kelly Leathers/Samantha Georgino (SCU), 8-3
2. Carol Erickson/Amanda Varela (CP) def. Erika Barnes/Casey Knutson (SCU), 8-5
3. Myra Davoudi/Stephanie Galainena (SCU) def. Sheila Lewis/Maria Malec (CP), 8-4
1. Samantha Waller (CP) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Danon Beatty (CP) def. Samantha Georgino (SCU), 6-1, 6-2
3. Carol Erickson CP) def. Stephanie Galainena (SCU), 6-4, 6-1
4. Kim Daniel (SCU) def. Sheila Lewis (CP), 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
5. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Maria Malec (CP), 6-2, 7-5
6. Amanda Varela (CP) def. Erika Barnes (SCU), 6-1, 4-6, 6-4