Women's Tennis Places Fifth at WCC Championship
April 24, 2005
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team placed fifth at the West Coast Conference Championship with a 4-1 victory over San Francisco this afternoon at the West Tennis Courts. Santa Clara's record improves to 16-7, tying the program mark for most wins in a single season.
Santa Clara's 16 wins marked the most for the program since the 1997 season, a span of eight years, when those Broncos went 16-12. The Broncos' win percentage for this season was .696, just shy of the program best, .700 set in 1980, when SCU went 14-6. Additionally, the Broncos have posted .500 or better season for the past six years.
"We started off the season really strong and for the first time in program history, we were nationally ranked after a win over Cal Poly," senior Janalle Kaloi said.; "From then on, we just had the confidence that we could play with tougher opponents; it's been a great year."
Kaloi in fact clinched the team victory for the Broncos with her 6-7, 6-2, 6-4 win at the top singles position over Camille Pamart. Sophomore Kelly Leathers and Erika Barnes also added singles victories
"There was a lot of competitive spirit between these two rivals on the court today," head coach Damon Coupe said. "We knew coming in that today was going to be a war, and that's exactly what it turned into, regardless of the score. We were very motivated to finish the year on a high note."
1. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) def. Macedo/Pamart (USF) 8-6
2. Cochrane/Barnes (SCU) def. Skogerboe/Tiegs (USF) 9-7
3. Daniel/J. Strunk (SCU) vs. Duncan/Laosirichon (USF) 5-6, DNF
1. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Camille Pamart (USF) 6-7, 6-2, 6-4
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Joana Macedo (USF) 6-2, 6-4
3. Anna Skogerboe (USF) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Megan Tiegs (USF) 6-4, 6-0
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) vs. Rachaya Laosirichon (USF) 4-6 , 1-2, DNF
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) vs. Michelle Duncan (USF) 4-3, DNF