Women's Tennis Bests Saint Mary's 4-3
April 6, 2005
MORAGA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team bested West Coast Conference opponent Saint Mary's 4-3 this afternoon at the Korth Tennis Complex in Moraga. Santa Clara is now 11-5 on the season, 2-1 in league play. The Gaels are now 8-6 overall, 2-3 in the WCC.
Saint Mary's earned the doubles point with a tiebreaker victory on the third court. Santa Clara countered and took a 3-1 match lead with Bronco victories by senior Catherine Cochrane and sophomores Kelly Leathers and Kimberly Daniel.
The Gaels rallied to tie the match at 3-3 and placing the weight of victory on the No. 6 singles position. Junior Bronco Jessie Strunk earned a 6-2, 6-7, 6-4 win over Stef Ordoveza to clinch the team victory.
"I have to give Saint Mary's credit, as they really wanted this victory and gave it all on the court with tough aggressive play," SCU head coach Damon Coupe said. "Jessie hung tough with the match on the line; she's been doing it all year for us. I was proud that we didn't let losing the doubles point get in our heads and was able to take care of business in singles. They were great wins for Kelly, Cat and Kim in a fairly hostile environment."
Santa Clara returns home to the Degheri Tennis Center to host San Francisco on Friday in continuing WCC action. First serve is set for 2 p.m. Admission is free.
1. Lambert/Hoath (SMC) def. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) 8-3
2. Cochrane/Barnes (SCU) def. Schulman/Harden (SMC) 8-5
3. Charlot/Ordoveza (SMC) def. Daniel/J. Strunk (SCU) 9-8 (5)
1. Aude Lambert (SMC) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Megan Schulman (SMC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Kate Harden (SMC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Jessica Hoath (SMC) def. Erika Barnes (SCU) 4-6, 7-6, 6-3
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Feline Charlot (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Stef Ordoveza (SMC) 6-2, 6-7 (6), 6-4