March 23, 2005
FREMONT & SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team will continue a match against New Orleans on Thursday at 3 p.m. at the Degheri Tennis Center.
Inclement weather has overwhelmed the Bay Area this past week, canceling two of the three Bronco matches scheduled for this Spring Break week. Today's match, originally scheduled for 10 a.m., was pushed back to noon before being moved indoors at 1p.m. to the ClubSport facility located in nearby Fremont. The teams played singles first, until the club closed, and then moved back outside before rain, again, forced the postponement to tomorrow.
Santa Clara is currently down 2-3 in the team score, with Kimberly Daniel's match on court five still in progress. Should Santa Clara notch a victory, doubles will be played to determine the match winner.
Santa Clara's current record stands at 7-4 on the season. The Privateers' record is 7-2.
Looking ahead to future contests, Santa Clara returns to action next month, with participation in a tournament hosted by UC Irvine April 1-3. The Broncos will also visit West Coast Conference rival Saint Mary's on April 6 in Moraga before returning home to host San Francisco on April 8.
1. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) vs. Zembski/Hrovatic (UNO) PPD
2. Cochrane/Barnes (SCU) vs. Mazinova/Dangond (UNO) PPD
3. Daniel/J. Strunk (SCU) vs. Veerman/Fogelberg (UNO) PPD
1. Lucie Mazinova (UNO) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Laetitia Zembski (UNO) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Inge Veerman (UNO) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Tanja Hrovatic (UNO) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) vs. Angela Maria Dangond (UNO) 6-7 (6), 5-0, serving down 30-40
6. Michaela Fogelberg (UNO) def. Jessie Strunk (SCU) 6-3, 6-2