Feb. 25, 2005
SAN FRANCISCO - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team opened West Coast Conference action with a 5-2 victory over San Francisco this afternoon at the Olympic Club. The Broncos' record improves to 6-3 overall, 1-0 in league play. The Dons fall to 3-3, 0-1.
Santa Clara swept doubles, including two 8-6 wins by Janalle Kaloi / Kelly Leathers and Erika Barnes / Jessie Strunk on courts one and three. Leathers, Catherine Cochrane and Barnes earned straight-set victories, while Strunk posted the final point after her opponent retired the match due to injury.
"I'm extremely excited about getting first our first conference win," head coach Damon Coupe said. "I had done some research on today's opponent and knew they would be extremely competitive. Our team went out and fought the tough battle. USF played well, but believed in ourselves on the court and took care of business."
Santa Clara returns to the courts next week with three matches in three days: at Pacific on March 4, at UC Davis on March 5 and Loyola Marymount in Moraga on March 6.
1. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) def. Pamart/Macedo (USF) 8-6
2. Cochrane/Daniel (SCU) def. Tiegs/Taylor (USF) 8-2
3. Barnes/J. Strunk (SCU) def. Skogerboe/Laosirichon (USF) 8-6
1. Camille Pamart (USF) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 7-6 (4), 3-6, (1-0)
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Joana Macedo (USF) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Megan Tiegs (USF) 6-1, 6-2
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Emma Taylor (USF) 6-4, 6-2
5. Anna Skogerboe (USF) def. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Pichaya Laosirichon (USF) 5-4, ret. (injury)