Feb. 16, 2005
FREMONT, Calif. - The 75th-ranked Santa Clara University women's tennis team posted a 4-2 victory over Hawaii this morning at Club Sport in Fremont. Due to rainy weather in the Bay Area, the match was moved indoors. The Broncos' record improves to 4-2, and the Rainbow Wahine fall to 1-4.
Doubles was not played due to the indoor court situation. Sophomore Erika Barnes clinched the team victory with her 7-5, 6-3 win over Paige Mainor at No. 4 singles.
"I'm very proud of the way this team won this match," head coach Damon Coupe said. "We were down 0-2 playing indoors for the first this season. Our team hung tough and showed some grit and resilience. Kelley Leathers started the comeback with her victory on court two and then Kimberly Daniel did the same. It really turned the momentum our way and helped our team believe we could pull this one out."
As rainy weather is expected tomorrow as well, Santa Clara will continue its four-match homestand with another indoor contest. Thursday's battle against No. 75 Washington State has been moved to Club Sport's Pleasanton location and first serve has been moved up to noon. For details on this venue, please click here. Friday's contest against Saint Mary's is still tentatively scheduled for a 3:30 p.m. start at the Degheri Tennis Center, but please check back for current information as the week progresses.
1. No. 94 Lauren Fitzgerald (UH) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Sylvia Jaros (UH) 6-2, 6-4
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Justine Boutet (UH) 6-2, 6-2
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Paige Mainor (UH) 7-5, 6-3
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Kimberly Curtis (UH) 6-1, 6-2
6. Kana Aikawa(UH) def. Jessie Strunk (SCU) 6-3, 6-3