Women's Tennis Falls at UC Santa Barbara 5-2
Feb. 13, 2005
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - The 73rd-ranked Santa Clara University women's tennis team lost a 5-2 match to UC Santa Barbara this afternoon at the Rob Gym Courts in Santa Barbara. The Broncos' record moves to 3-2, and the Gauchos' improves to 2-0.
"My hat goes off to them," head coach Damon Coupe said of the duo. "They fought so hard to come back. To pull the matches out showed a lot of character and heart on their part. Even though the team match was lost, these individual victories will pay dividends down the road, the in terms of confidence to win matches.
"This was a disappointing loss," Coupe continued. "Santa Barbara came out looking for an upset and they played good enough to get it done. We're still in that learning process of experiencing a tight match and how we choose to respond; it was definitely a learning experience. The team will be ready to play on Wednesday and continue on with a great season.
Santa Clara returns home for a four-match homestand at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos will play three of those matches on consecutive days next week: Hawaii on Wednesday at 3 p.m., No. 75 Washington State on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. and Saint Mary's on Friday at 3:30 p.m.
1. Gruenig/Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) 8-4
2. Glynn/Fukushima (UCSB) def. Cochrane/Daniel (SCU) 9-8
3. Pintar/Damion (UCSB) def. Barnes/J. Strunk (SCU) 8-3
1. Marielle Gruenig (UCSB) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Chelsea Glynn (UCSB) 4-6, 6-4, (1-0)
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Andrea Pintar (UCSB) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Charlotte Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Erika Barnes (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Leslie Damion (UCSB) def. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Mio Fukushima (UCSB) def. Jessie Strunk (SCU) 4-6, 6-4, (1-0)