Jan. 22, 2005
FRESNO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season with a 6-1 setback this afternoon at 21st-ranked Fresno State at the Wathen Tennis Center.
The loss ended the Broncos' two-game win streak and dropped their record to 2-1 on the young season. SCU defeated Cal State Fullerton and 51st-ranked Cal Poly last weekend at San Luis Obispo, Calif.
The win was the 15th in a row at home for the Bulldogs, who were opening their season.
"This was certainly one of the toughest matches we'll have this season," said SCU's first-year head coach Damon Coupe. "We were playing without our number one player so each of our players were competing up a spot in the lineup against a veteran opponent. I don't think the final score was indicative of the way the match was played. I was proud of the way our players competed and I think today's match gives us the confidence and experience to be in a better situation for crucial points at critical times as the season progresses."
Sophomore Jessie Strunk remained undefeated on the season, improving her singles record to 3-0 with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Fresno State's Caitlin Tiftick. A native of Phoenix, Ariz., Strunk earned the clinching victory in last weekend's 4-3 win at Cal Poly. Today, she also teamed with freshman Myra Davoudi to earn an 8-5 doubles win.
Davoudi suffered a knee injury in the second game of the first set of her singles match against Fresno State's Jacqui Haskett. The status of her injury is uncertain and will be confirmed following an examination on Monday by SCU's team doctors.
No. 21 Fresno State 6, Santa Clara, 1
1) #19 Jantz/Sainz (FS) def. Leathers/Barnes (SCU), 8-0
2) Tallo/Winterhalter (FS) def. Cochrane/Daniel (SCU), 8-0
3) Strunk/Davoudi (SCU) def. Haskett/Tiftick (FS), 8-5
1) #80 Lucia Tallo (FS) def. Kelly Leathers (SCU), 6-3, 6-0
2) Katharina Winterhalter (FS) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU), 6-3, 6-1
3) Lucia Sainz (FS) def. Erika Barnes (SCU), 6-0, 6-1
4) Courtney Jantz (FS) def. Kimberly Daniel (SCU), 6-2, 6-1
5) Jacqui Haskett (FS) def. Myra Davoudi (SCU), 1-0 retired
6) Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Caitlin Tiftick (FS), 6-0, 6-0