Women's Tennis Wins Season Opener
Jan. 16, 2005
SAN LUIS OPISBO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team opened the 2005 season with a road victory, besting Cal State Fullerton 5-2 in a match hosted by Cal Poly at the Mustang Tennis Courts. Damon Coupe earned his first head coaching victory as the Broncos' new leader. The Titans fall to 0-2.
After dropping all three doubles matches, which combine to account for the first point of a match, the Broncos rallied to win five of six singles contests to earn the victory.
"We had a lot of butterflies in doubles, and the strong winds certainly played a factor, but when we got together before singles started we decided to rally," Coupe explained. "The team really wanted this win and proved it by steamrolling through the rest of this match until they earned that W.
"It was a great way to start the season," he continued. "To earn our first win on the road really makes a strong statement."
Santa Clara will look to add another victory to the Bronco record with another match tomorrow morning. SCU will take on host Cal Poly at 11 a.m. The 56th-ranked Mustangs defeated CS Fullerton on Saturday by a 7-0 score.
1. Inapulat/Rocha (CSF) def. Kaloi/Leathers (SCU) 8-4
2. Arias/Le (CSF) def. Cochrane/Daniel (SCU) 8-6
3. Freeman/Tran (CSF) def. Barnes/ Myra Davoudi (SCU) 8-6
1. Ruya Inapulat (CSF) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-0
2. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Gina Le (CSF) 6-4, 6-2
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Carla Rocha (CSF) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Mai-Ly Tran (CSF) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Nicole Arias (CSF) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Caroline Freeman (CSF) 6-1, 6-1