April 16, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Santa Clara University sophomore Casey Knutson clinched a team victory with her 10th win of the season as the Bronco women's tennis team closed their home schedule with a 5-2 West Coast Conference victory over San Francisco this evening at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos improve to 11-9 overall, 5-2 in league play, while the Dons fall to 12-9, 1-4.
The Broncos clinched the doubles point to start the afternoon's match, led by Janalle Kaloi and Catherine Cochrane's 8-6 win in over Gabriela Ruiz and Megan Tiegs. San Francisco avoided the doubles sweep with a tiebreaker win on the third court.
In singles action, the Broncos secured a 3-0 lead with wins by freshmen Kelly Leathers and Kimberly Daniel, on courts three and five, respectively. The Dons registered their first point of the match with Tiegs' three-set win over Cochrane on court two.
Knutson topped Anna Skogerboe in a second set tiebreaker in the fourth singles slot for the match-clinching win.
USF grabbed its second and final point on the sixth court and Kaloi closed the evening with her come-from-behind win on court one.
"We defeated them 4-3 last time, so we picked up a solid extra point with today's victory," head coach Tricia Guidace said. "It's a strong way to head into our final weekend of the season and as we look forward to the league tournament."
Santa Clara will close out the regular season at Saint Mary's on Saturday, with an 11 a.m. first serve. The Broncos will then return to Moraga the following weekend for the 2004 WCC Championships, also hosted by Saint Mary's. Details on opponents and times will be released early next week.
Prior to the start of the match, Broncos honored their lone senior, Jenny Siegel.
"As friends and teammates, we want to say thank you for four years of dedication to the Bronco program," Guidace added.
Santa Clara def. San Francisco 5-2
1. Kaloi/Cochrane (SCU) def. Ruiz/Tiegs (USF) 8-6
2. Barnes/Leathers (SCU) def. Pamart/Chung (USF) 8-1
3. Skogerboe/Duncan (USF) def. Knutson/ Jenny Siegel (SCU) 9-8 (3)
1. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Camille Pamart (USF) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Megan Tiegs (USF) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
3. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Gabriela Ruiz (USF) 6-2, 6-2
4. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Anna Skogerboe (USF) 6-2, 7-6 (1)*
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Courtney Chung (USF) 6-1, 6-0
6. Michelle Duncan (USF) def. Erika Barnes (SCU) 7-6 (4), 4-6, (10-3)
* Clinched Team Victory