Women's Tennis Remains Undefeated in WCC
March 25, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated Gonzaga 7-0 this afternoon at Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos remain undefeated in West Coast Conference play and now boast a 4-0 record in league, while the team's overall record improves to 8-6. The Bulldogs fall to 7-10, 0-2.
The teams competed in singles first, as inclement weather threatened the South Bay. Santa Clara won all six courts in straight sets, with Casey Knutson's court three victory over Sirrah Williams providing the match-clinching point.
Gonzaga pulled out of playing on the top doubles court, and SCU went on to sweep the remaining two matches to complete the afternoon.
The Broncos head to Southern California for weekend matches against league opponents. Santa Clara will visit Loyola Marymount on Saturday at 11 a.m. and San Diego on Sunday at 10 a.m. The Broncos return home to the Degheri Tennis Center on Saturday, April 3, hosting UC Davis at noon.
Santa Clara def. Gonzaga 7-0
1. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Jamie Buterbaugh (GON) 6-3, 6-4
2. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Leigh Orne (GON) 6-1, 6-3
3. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Sirrah Williams (GON) 6-2, 6-2*
4. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Katie Sanders (GON) 6-3, 6-2
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Connie Head (GON) 6-2, 6-0
6. Erika Barnes (SCU) def. Florence Wasko (GON) 6-1, 6-1
* Clinched Team Victory