March 5, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated Nevada 6-1 this evening at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos' overall record improves to 6-5, while the Wolfpack's record falls to 1-9.
In singles action, underclassmen Kelly Leathers, Kimberly Daniel and Jessie Strunk won on courts 4-6, and did not allow UNR to record a single game victory in the second set on all three courts. Daniel clinched the victory for the team, with Cochrane and sophomore Casey Knutson also recording victories.
Nevada avoided the sweep with Pham's 6-3, 6-3 victory over Kaloi at the top singles slot.
The Broncos remain at the Degheri Tennis Center top close out a five-match homestand by hosting CS Northridge on Sunday at 10 a.m.
Santa Clara def. Nevada 6-1
1. Bach-Lam Pham (UNR) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Myriam Bouchlaka (UNR) 6-2, 6-2
3. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Fiorellia Velez (UNR) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Kristen Davenport (UNR) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Cherie Pettersson (UNR) 6-2, 6-0*
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Christine Tilley (UNR) 6-3, 6-0
* Clinched Team Victory