Women's Tennis Notches 4-3 Win over Davidson
March 3, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated Davidson College 4-3 this evening at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos' overall record evens to 5-5, while the Wildcats' record falls to 5-6.
Davidson took the first point of the afternoon with wins on the second and third doubles courts. Santa Clara avoided the doubles sweep with a 9-8 win by juniors Janalle Kaloi and Catherine Cochrane on the top singles court.
Singles action provided tense competition, as four of the six first sets went an extra game. Kaloi was the first to close out a win, with her 7-5, 6 -2 victory over Kelly Fillnow on the first court. Freshman Kelly Leathers put SCU ahead 2-1 in the team score with her court five victory over Lindsey Powel. It also marked Leathers' team-leading 10th victory of the season.
Davidson evened the match score with Meggie Patterson's court two victory, but the Broncos forged ahead with freshman Kimberly Daniel's 6-1, 7-6 win on court five and sophomore Casey Knutson's match-clinching victory on court three.
Katherine Hatch earned Davidson's final point of the night, winning the last three games to secure a 7-5, 7-5 win.
"We came out really flat in doubles but rallied hard for aggressive singles wins," head coach Tricia Guidace said.
The Broncos remain at the Degheri Tennis Center as part of a five-match homestand. Santa Clara will host Nevada on Friday at 3:30 p.m. and CS Northridge on Sunday at 10 a.m.
Santa Clara def. Davidson 4-3
1. Kaloi/Cochrane (SCU) def. K. Fillnow/M. Fillnow (DAV) 9-8 (1)
2. Patterson/Powel (DAV) def. Erika Barnes /Leathers (SCU) 8-2
3. Sarah Borkowski/Hatch (DAV) def. Knutson/Daniel (SCU) 8-5
1. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Kelly Fillnow (DAV) 7-5, 6-2
2. Meggie Patterson (DAV) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Meghan Fillnow (DAV) 7-5, 6-4*
4. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Lindsey Powel (DAV) 6-4, 6-2
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Kate Levitt (DAV) 6-1, 7-6 (3)
6. Katherine Hatch (DAV) def. Nicole Jackson (SCU) 7-5, 7-5
* Clinched Team Victory