Feb. 27, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team swept singles play to earn a 6-1 victory over West Coast Conference opponent Saint Mary's this afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos' overall record evens to 4-4, but more importantly, Santa Clara remains undefeated in league play at 3-0. The Gaels' record falls to 1-6, 1-2.
Saint Mary's grabbed the first point of the match by taking two of three doubles contests. The Gaels won on court one and clinched with a victory on court three, 8-3 by Kristen Kummer and Kate Harden over first-time Bronco partners Casey Knutson and Kimberly Daniel.
The Broncos stormed back in singles action, taking all six courts. Freshman Kimberly Daniel clinched her third straight team victory with a 7-5 (5), 6-2 win over Kummer on court five. Junior Janalle Kaloi and Knutson took their matches to three sets before recording victories.
"The team played with a lot of fire after losing the doubles point," assistant coach Brett Masi said after the contest. "They kept their heads up and dominated, and it reflected well in the results."
The Broncos remain at the Degheri Tennis Center as part of a five-match homestand. Santa Clara will host UC Santa Barbara on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Santa Clara def. Saint Mary's 6-1
1. Lambert/Hunstock (SMC) def. Kaloi/Cochrane (SCU) 8-4
2. Erika Barnes /Leathers (SCU) def. Stankovic/Schulman (SMC) 8-3
3. Kummer/Harden (SMC) def. Knutson/Daniel (SCU) 8-3
1. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Aude Lambert (SMC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Kate Harden (SMC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Megan Schulman (SMC) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
4. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Nicole Hunstock (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
5. Kimberly Daniel (SCU) def. Kristen Kummer (SMC) 7-6 (5), 6-2*
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Dunya Stankovic (SMC) 6-3, 6-4
* Clinched Team Victory