Feb. 6, 2004
SAN FRANCISCO - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated West Coast Conference opponent San Francisco 4-3 this afternoon at Golden Gate Park. Newcomer Sofia Wendt capped the Bronco comeback with her win at No. 4 singles over Joana Laranjiha, 7-5, 5-7, 6-2. It secured the Broncos' first win of the season, as the team is now1-2, 1-0 in the WCC. The Dons' record moves to 1-3, 0-2.
Santa Clara fell behind after doubles, with losses on the first and second courts that allowed the Dons to take the first point of the afternoon. In singles, Kelly Leathers put Santa Clara's first point on the board with her win, but the Broncos' deficit worsened, as Anna Skogerboe defeated Casey Knutson on court five and Camille Pamart topped Janalle Kaloi at No. 1 singles to give San Francisco a 3-1 match lead.
The Broncos stayed in their remaining matches and Jessie Strunk added another point for SCU with her 6-2, 7-6 (7) win over Michelle Duncan on the sixth court. Within five minutes, teammate Catherine Cochrane tied the match a three points apiece with her three-set victory, setting the stage for the deciding match at No. 4 singles.
"This is a great win for us," assistant coach Brett Masi said after the match. "We thought the girls competed well and stuck with it the entire the day."
The Broncos return to action at home tomorrow morning against Pacific. First serve at the SCU Tennis Center is slated for 11 a.m.
Santa Clara def. San Francisco 4-3
1. Pamart/Laranjiha (USF) def. Cochrane/Knutson (SCU) 8-3
2. Ruiz/Tiegs (USF) def. Kaloi/Wendt (SCU) 8-6
3. Erika Barnes/Leathers (SCU) def. Skogerboe/Duncan (USF) 8-3
1. Camille Pamart (USF) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-3, 7-6 (7)
2. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Megan Tiegs (USF) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. Kelly Leathers (SCU) def. Gabriela Ruiz (USF) 6-0, 6-3
4. Sofia Wendt (SCU) def. Joana Laranjiha (USF)* 7-5, 5-7, 6-2
5. Anna Skogerboe (USF) def. Casey Knutson (SCU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Jessie Strunk (SCU) def. Michelle Duncan (USF) 6-2, 7-6 (7)
* Clinched Team Victory