Women's Tennis Falls to Top-Seeded Pepperdine
April 12, 2003
MALIBU, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team fell to top-seeded Pepperdine 5-0 in the semifinals of the West Coast Conference Championship this afternoon at the Ralph-Straus Tennis Center. The Broncos, seeded fourth in the tournament, even their mark to 10-10 overall. The 50th-ranked Waves improve to 10-13.
Santa Clara's Christine Limbers and Janalle Kaloi paired at the top doubles spot to top Pepperdine's Veronica Koksova and Charlotte Vernaz 8-2, but the Waves grabbed the other two courts to clinch the doubles point.
The Waves went on to win four singles matches for the victories. Two matches were stopped in progress after Pepperdine had the match won.
The WCC Championships continue through Sunday. Last season, Santa Clara recorded its highest finish ever at the tournament, placing third. The Broncos will have a chance to match that, taking on second seed Loyola Marymount for third place, beginning at 11:30 a.m.
1. Limbers/Kaloi (SCU) def. Koksova/Vernaz (PEP) 8-2
2. Andersson/Schlapbach (PEP) def. Mariko Kawakami /Cochrane (SCU) 8-3
3. Asimgil/Monika Horvath (PEP) def. Campbell/Ruiz (SCU) 8-4
1. No. 63 Natalie Braverman (PEP) vs. Christine Limbers (SCU) DNF
2. No. 73 Charlotte Vernaz (PEP) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Merve Asimgil (PEP) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Karin Schlapbach (PEP) def. Pati Ruiz (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Veronica Koksova (PEP) def. Casey Knutson (SCU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Anna Andersson (PEP) vs. Ashley Campbell (SCU) DNF