March 1, 2003
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team evened its season record to 5-5 with a convincing 7-0 victory over West Coast Conference rival Saint Mary's College Saturday at the Santa Clara University Tennis Center.
The Broncos jumped out on top early with a sweep of all three doubles matches to earn the first pooint of the dual match. The nos. two and three teams won by convincing scores of 8-3, while the top seeds for Santa Clara, Christine Limbers and Janalle Kaloi were leading 7-3 before the Gaels retired the match.
In four of the six matches, Santa Clara players put on a dominating show, allowing just four wins or less in the two sets. In the sixth position, Mariko Kawakami defeated Lisanne Elfring of Saint Mary's by a score of 6-2, 6-0.
At the No. 1 position, Limbers blew by Kate Harden by a score of 6-2 in the first set before the Saint Mary's freshman rebounded with a 6-2 victory in the second set. Limbers regrouped to win the third and final set by a score of 6-2.
A similar match took place at the No. 3 position with Catherine Cochrane taking the first set over Nicole Hunstock by a 6-3 score before dropping the second set 6-1. Cochrane then rebounded with a 6-3 victory in the final set.
The Broncos return to action on March 5 against Loyola Marymount in a 2 p.m. dual match at the SCU Tennis Center.
Santa Clara 7, Saint Mary's 0
Santa Clara University Tennis Center
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Kate Harden (SMC), 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
2. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Catalina Fillol (SMC), 6-3, 6-1
3. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Nicole Hunstock (SMC), 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
4. Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Lindsay Herndon-Ortega (SMC), 6-1, 6-1
5. Casey Knutson (SCU) def. Megan Schulman (SMC), 6-4, 6-0
6. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Lisanne Elfring (SMC), 6-2, 6-0
1. Limbers / Kaloi (SCU) def. Fillel / Harden (SMC), 7-3 (ret.)
2. Ashley Campbell / Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Hunstock / Shannon Aloia (SMC), 8-3
3. Kawakami / Ruiz (SCU) def. Schulman / Herndon-Ortega (SMC), 8-3
Santa Clara 5-5
Saint Mary's 5-5