Women's Tennis Captures Third Place in WCC
April 21, 2002
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team closed out its season with a third-place finish in the West Coast Conference Championships, held this afternoon at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos topped Portland 4-3 to earn their highest finish ever in the league tournament. Santa Clara completes the 2001-02 season with a 14-9 record. The Pilots move to 7-17.
"On behalf of our entire team, I want to thank the family and fans that came out and supported us today," SCU head coach Aby Ryan said. "That made the difference, we won today because of the number of people out here cheering for us."
In doubles action, the Broncos swept all three matches, but by close scores. Courts one and two were won by 8-6 decisions, while it took junior Pati Ruiz and sophomore Jenny Siegel an 11-9 tiebreaker to close the pro set on court three.
In singles action, Ruiz ceded only one game in her victory on the sixth court. Bronco senior Nicole McCord finished her collegiate career with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Portland's Jana Jusopovic at the No. 3 slot to give SCU a 3-0 match advantage. The Pilots rallied for victories on the first, second and fourth singles court, forcing the team victory to come down to the result on court five.
Bronco freshman Catherine Cochrane took the first set over Allison Tyson 6-4, but allowed Tyson to take the second frame. In the deciding set, Cochrane fought for the victory, bringing home the Broncos' highest finish in conference history.
"This was a total team effort," Ryan said. "We've come a long way this season and it's because these girls have heart."
Santa Clara 4, Portland 3
1. Courtney Perkins (PORT) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
2. Amy Juppenlatz (PORT) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-1, 7-6 (2)
3. Nicole McCord (SCU) def. Jana Jusopovic (PORT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Sanja Indic (PORT) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Allison Tyson (PORT) 6-4, 1-6, 6-2
6. Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Kellee Menke (PORT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Limbers/McCord (SCU) def. Perkins/Juppenlatz (PORT) 8-6
2. Kaloi/Kawakami (SCU) def. Indic/Jusopovic (PORT) 8-6
3. Ruiz/ Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Tyson/Menke (PORT) 9-8 (9)