Women's Tennis Falls to No. 34 Pepperdine 7-0
April 10, 2002
MALIBU, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team fell to 34th-ranked Pepperdine 7-0 in West Coast Conference action this afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu. The Broncos' overall record moves to 11-8 on the season, 4-3 in league play, while the Waves' improves to 9-12, 3-0.
Santa Clara's WCC Doubles Team of the Month for March, freshman Janalle Kaloi and junior Mariko Kawakami, provided the toughest competition in doubles, but fell a tiebreak match on second court that would have avoided the sweep.
Moving on to singles, Kaloi and senior Nicole McCord pushed their respective opponents on the second and third courts to three sets, but the Waves were able to close out the victory without dropping a point.
Santa Clara will return home on Friday, for a 3p.m. contest against Pacific at the SCU Tennis Center.
No. 34 Pepperdine 7, Santa Clara 0
1. Charlotte Vernaz (PEP) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Monika Horvath (PEP) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-1
3. Veronica Koksova (PEP) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 6-2, 6-7 (6), 6-2
4. Aleksandra Kujawska (PEP) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Karin Schlapbach (PEP) def. Ashley Campbell (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Anna Andersson (PEP) def. Pati Ruiz (SCU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Vernaz/Koksova (PEP) def. Limbers/McCord (SCU) 8-1
1. Horvath/Kujawska (PEP) def. Kaloi/Kawakami (SCU) 9-8 (3)
3. Schlapbach/Ceyda Keyman (PEP) def. Ruiz/ Jenny Siegel (SCU) 8-2