Women's Tennis Falls to Cal State Northridge, 4-3
March 2, 2002
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to CS Northridge this afternoon at the SCU Tennis Center.
"Northridge competed really well today," Santa Clara head coach Aby Ryan said. "Their top for players were just a little bit better than ours and that was the difference."
Freshman Janalle Kaloi earned a come-from-behind victory for the Broncos at the third singles spot, defeating the Matadors' Kendra Segura 6-7, 7-5, 6-1. Teammates Christine Limbers and Nicole McCord played "unbelievable" according to Ryan in their 9-8 victory at the No. 1 doubles position.
The Broncos' overall record moves to 6-7 on the season and return to action next Friday when they take on San Jose State for a 2 p.m. contest. That match will take place at the Los Gatos Swim & Racquet Club.
"If we play solid next week, we should win," Ryan said. "Right now we're focusing on competing more than winning, we want to make sure we're competing on every court."
ResultsCS Northridge 4, Santa Clara 3
1. Tereza Simonyan (CSN) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Rani Setiawati (CSN) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
3. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Kendra Segura (CSN) 6-7 (5), 7-5, 6-1
4. Stephanie Chu (CSN) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Veronika Wagner (CSN) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Brittany Bierman (CSN) 7-6, 6-3