Feb. 23, 2002
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated San Francisco 7-0 in West Coast Conference action this evening at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos improve to 5-4 overall, 2-0 in league play, while the Dons fall to 2-4, 0-2.
The Broncos opened the afternoon by sweeping doubles play. Junior Mariko Kawakami and freshman Janalle Kaloi teamed together to defeat USF's Gabriela Ruiz and Anna Skogerboe 8-2 on the first court. A Ruiz service ace gave the Dons a 1-0 lead in the pro set, but SCU quickly tied the match and then went up 2-1 after four deuces to break Skogerboe's serve. The Broncos never looked back, taking control at the net to easily earn their first victory as a tandem in the No. 1 doubles position.
A running lob by junior Bronco Christine Limbers gave her and senior Nicole McCord an 8-4 win on the second court. Two minutes later, SCU junior Pati Ruiz, the older sister of USF's Gabriela Ruiz, and freshman Jenny Siegel closed out their victory on the third doubles court, by an 8-5 score.
The winds picked up midway through singles action, but it didn't stop the Broncos' momentum. Positions 2-6 finished their matches in straight set, while Limbers and Kaloi went the distance for their victories.
The Broncos' six-match home stand concludes tomorrow when the Broncos take on Northern Arizona University at 1 p.m.
ResultsSanta Clara 7, San Francisco 0
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Gabriela Ruiz (USF) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Caroline Tweeton (USF) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Nicole McCord (SCU) def. Carey Savage (USF) 6-1, 6-3
5. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Anna Skogerboe (USF) 6-0, 6-2
4. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Michelle Duncan (USF) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Nikki Kobayashi (USF) 7-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Kaloi/Kawakami (SCU) def. Ruiz/Skogerboe (USF) 8-2
1. Limbers/McCord (SCU) def. Savage/Tweeton (USF) 8-4
2. Siegel/ Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Duncan/Kobayashi (USF) 8-5