Feb. 17, 2002
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team defeated UC Santa Barbara 5-2 Sunday afternoon at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos even their record to 4-4 on the year, while the Gauchos fall to 1-4.
SCU opened the match by taking the doubles point with wins on the second and third courts. Freshman Janalle Kaloi teamed with junior Mariko Kawakami for a 8-5 victory over UCSB's Chelsea Dillon and Shiho Fukushima on court two. Sophomore Jenny Siegel and junior Pati Ruiz dominated registered the other win, 8-1 over Michelle Stewart and Amanda Pazornik.
In singles action, Siegel and Kaloi earned 6-0, 6-0 victories to give the Broncos a 3-0 lead in the match. Freshman Catherine Cochrane clinched the team victory with her 6-2, 6-3 win over Steward on the court three.
"Catherine played really smoothly this afternoon and finished her points well," head coach Aby Ryan said.
The Broncos' six-match home stand concludes next weekend when the Broncos return to West Coast Conference action on Friday, hosting San Francisco at 2 p.m. On Saturday, Santa Clara will take on Northern Arizona University at 1 p.m. Both matches will be held at the SCU Tennis Center and are free to attend.
ResultsSanta Clara 5, UC Santa Barbara 2
1. Uzma Khan (UCSB) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Cindy Ammann (UCSB) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) def. Chelsea Dillon (UCSB) 6-0, 6-0
4. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Michelle Stewart (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
5. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Shiho Fukushima (UCSB) 6-2, 1-6, 6-0
6. Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Myriah Fitzgibbon (UCSB) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ammann/Khan (UCSB) def. Limbers/McCord (SCU) 8-5
3. Kaloi/Kawakami (SCU) def. Dillon/Fukushima (UCSB) 8-5
2. Siegel/ Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Stewart/Amanda Pazornik (UCSB) 8-1