Feb. 16, 2002
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to an underrated Nevada-Las Vegas squad today at the Santa Clara University Tennis Center.
The Broncos dropped to 3-4 on the season, while UNLV improved to 4-1. Santa Clara returns to action on Saturday, Feb. 17 in a non-conference dual match against the UC Santa Barbara. That match is scheduled for a noon. start at the Santa Clara Tennis Center, weather permitting. For up-to-the minute information on the status of that match, call 408/554-4885.
"UNLV is a top-20 caliber team," said Santa Clara Head Coach Aby Ryan. "They have a strong lineup from top-to-bottom and they should continue to have success through their league. I am really happy with the way our team continues to battle. We are playing every point with a strong competitive spirit and we continue progress in a positive direction."
The two teams played singles to open the match due to fear that the inclement weather moving into the area would hamper their ability to complete the competition. The Bronco duo of Jenny Siegel and Pati Ruiz won their second-straight match, completing an 8-2 victory over UNLV's Tracie Chong and Leentjie Oosthuizen. However, the Rebels captured the remaining two doubles matches to earn the point.
In singles, the Broncos earned their only point of the match with junior Christine Limbers earning a 6-4, 1-0 decision over UNLV's Pauline Janus, who is ranked 11th in the West region. Janus suffered an ankle injury and was forced to retire the match, thus providing Limbers with the victory.
"I was really pleased with the way Christine played," said Ryan. "Last weekend she earned a solid victory against a nationally-ranked player and she did it again today. These two victories, back-to-back, should help her a great deal. She was playing well and clearly winning the match when Janus went down with an injury."
UNLV 6, Santa Clara 1
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. No. 59 Paulina Janus (UNLV), 6-4, 1-0 (ret)
2. Gyorgyi Zsiros (UNLV) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU), 6-2, 6-3
3. Agnieska Abram (UNLV) def. Nicole McCord (SCU), 6-2, 7-6
4. Tracie Chong (UNLV) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU), 6-1, 7-5
5. Leentjie Oosthuizen (UNLV) def. Catherine Cochrane (SCU), 6-0, 1-6, 6-1
6. Marianne Bakken (UNLV) def. Jenny Siegel (SCU), 6-2, 6-2
1. Janus / Zsiros (UNLV) def. Limbers / McCord (SCU), 8-1
3. Abram / Chong (UNLB) def. Kaloi / Kawakami (SCU), 9-7
2. Siegel /Pati Ruiz (SCU) def. Chong / Oostheizen (UNLV), 8-2
Records: Santa Clara, 3-4, UNLV 4-1