Women's Tennis Opens Dual Season with Victory
Jan. 19, 2002
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University women's tennis team opened its spring season with an 4-3 defeat of UC Davis in windy conditions this afternoon at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos are now 1-0 on the year while the Division II Aggies fall to 0-1.
Santa Clara opened the afternoon by earning the doubles point after sweeping three matches. In singles play, junior Christine Limbers celebrated her 21st birthday with a 6-2, 6-0 defeat over UCD's Alisse Ali-Christie in the top position. Freshman Catherine Cochrane earned her first collegiate victory in spring play with a straight-set win over Nancy Mok. Junior Mariko Kawakami clinched the match with her 7-6 (5), 6-3 victory over Britni Webb in the third singles slot.
UC Davis rallied for the final three points of the match. At No. 2 singles, Janice Howard's victory over SCU freshman Janalle Kaloi earned the first point, while at No. 5 singles, Gretchen Schantz notched a three-set victory over junior Bronco Ashley Campbell.
The final match of the evening ended in a come-from behind victory for Davis' Janice Salomon. After falling in the first set 10-8 in the tiebreaker, she rallied for her own extra-game win in the second frame and returned junior Bronco Pati Ruiz's volleyball with a strong forehand for match point, winning the third 7-5.
The Broncos return to action next weekend when it visits the Northwest. Santa Clara will visit Pac-10 opponent Oregon on Friday, Jan. 25 at 1:30 p.m. The team will then begin its West Coast Conference schedule when Portland hosts the Broncos on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 9 a.m.
ResultsSanta Clara 4, UC Davis 3
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Alisse Ali-Christie (UCD) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jill Howard (UCD) def. Janalle Kaloi (SCU) 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) def. Britni Webb (UCD) 7-6 (5), 6-3
4. Janice Salomon (UCD) def. Pati Ruiz (SCU) 6-7 (8), 7-6 (4), 7-5
5. Gretchen Schantz (UCD) def. Ashley Campbell (SCU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Catherine Cochrane (SCU) def. Nancy Mok (UCD) 7-6 (4), 6-3
1. Limbers/Kaloi (SCU) def. Ali-Christie/Salomon (UCD) 8-3
3. Nicole McCord/Kawakami (SCU) def. Webb/Schantz (UCD) 8-4
2. Jenny Siegel/Cochrane (SCU) def. Howard/Mok (UCD) 8-2