April 29, 2001
SAN DIEGO - The Santa Clara women's tennis team was upset by Saint Mary's 4-3 in the consolation final of the 2001 West Coast Conference Championships, held this morning at the West Courts on the University of San Diego campus.
With the loss, the Broncos end their season with a 12-11 record and placed sixth at the tournament. Saint Mary's improves to 7-16 and places fifth in the tournament.
Santa Clara clinched the doubles point with 8-3 victories on the first and third courts. The Gaels ceded another point to the Broncos by defaulting on court six. Up 2-0, sophomore Ashley Campbell added a third point with her 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 win over Cata Fillol on court five, but it was the last of the Bronco scoring. The Gaels took three-set victories on courts one, two and four to complete the upset.
No. 7 Saint Mary's 4, No. 5 Santa Clara 3
1. Karen Holland (SMC) def. Christine Limbers (SCU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
3. Annie Wolford (SMC) def. Nicole McCord (SCU) 6-2, 7-6 (0)
2. Heather Snow (SMC) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) 6-1, 4-6, 3-6
4. Valerie Verrier (SMC) def. Patricia Ruiz (SCU) 4-6, 6-0, 7-6
6. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Cata Fillol (SMC) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
5. Megan McKitterick (SCU) def. SMC default
1. Limbers/McCord (SCU) def. Holland/Verrier (SMC) 8-3
3. Wolford/Snow (SMC) def. Ruiz/Campbell (SCU) 8-6
2. Kawakami/Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Fillol/Herndon Ortega 8-3