Women's Tennis Defeats San Francisco 6-1
April 17, 2001
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara women's tennis team earned a 6-1 victory over West Coast Conference opponent San Francisco this afternoon at the Santa Clara Tennis Center. With the victory, the Broncos even their overall record to 9-9 on the season and improve to 4-1 in league play. The Dons fall to 4-12, 0-4.
Santa Clara secured the doubles point with convincing 8-0 victories on the first and second doubles courts. The Broncos completed the sweep with an 8-3 win by sophomores Patricia Ruiz and Ashley Campbell on court three.
The Broncos eased into singles play with two more points with straight-set victories at the fourth and sixth singles positions. Campbell clinched the team victory for the Broncos with her 6-1, 6-1 win over USF's Heidi Kromschroder. Bronco sophomore Christine Limbers also won in straight sets, defeating the Dons' Caroline Tweeton 6-1, 7-6 (2).
With the match already decided, the teams finished the final two singles matches with a third-set super-tiebreaker. The squads split the matches, with San Francisco earning its only point of the afternoon when Carey Savage defeated SCU's Mariko Kawakami on the third court.
The Broncos will host their final home match of the season against San Jose State tomorrow. The non-conference match will begin at 2 p.m. at the Santa Clara Tennis Center.
Santa Clara 6, San Francisco 1
1. Christine Limbers (SCU) def. Caroline Tweeton (USF) 6-1, 7-6 (2)
2. Nicole McCord (SCU) def. Aaryn Volkmann (USF) 7-5, 2-6, (10-4)
3. Carey Savage (USF) def. Mariko Kawakami (SCU) 0-6, 6-4 (10-8)
4. Patricia Ruiz (SCU) def. Nikki Kobayashi (USF) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ashley Campbell (SCU) def. Heidi Kromschroder (USF) 6-1, 6-1
6. Megan McKitterick (SCU) def. Jamie Johnson (USF) 6-2, 6-2
1. Limbers/McCord (SCU) def. Tweeton/Savage (USF) 8-0
2. Kawakami/Jenny Siegel (SCU) def. Volkmann/Johnson (USF) 8-0
3. Ruiz/Campbell (SCU) def. Kobayashi/Kromschroder (USF) 8-3