April 8, 2003
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team closed out the regular season with a 4-3 victory this evening over Pacific at the SCU Tennis Center. The Broncos' record moves to 8-13 overall, while the Tigers fall to 14-6.
Santa Clara honored its two seniors prior to the start of the match, and those two fired up the Broncos in their last display of doubles competition at home. Senior Michael Bruggemann paired with junior Erich Chen to earn an 8-6 victory at No. 1 doubles, while senior Federico Mattioli teamed with sophomore Taylor Bedilion for a convincing 8-1 victory on the third doubles court.
After clinching the doubles point, the Broncos increased their lead with Bruggemann's 6-3, 6-3 win over Tyler Black on court six. Francisco Zepponi set up match point for Chen, as his victory over Arnar Sigurdsson on the first court clinched the Bronco victory.
It was all the Broncos needed as Pacific earned victories in the other three matches. SCU sophomore Taylor Bedilion retired during the tiebreaker on court two due to leg cramps.
Santa Clara will participate in the West Coast Conference Championships this weekend in San Diego. Although matches and times have yet to be announced, contests will be played Friday, April 11 through Sunday, April 13.
1. Chen/Bruggemann (SCU) def. Sigurdsson/Black (PAC) 8-6
2. Duong/Kubler (PAC) def. Ruso/Zepponi (SCU) 8-5
3. Mattioli/Bedilion (SCU) def. Otte/Lacroix (PAC) 8-1
1. Erich Chen (SCU) def. Arnar Sigurdsson (PAC) 7-6 (5), 7-5
2. Mike Duong (PAC) def. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) 4-6, 6-6, ret.
3. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Niclas Otte (PAC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Vincent Kubler (PAC) def, Federico Mattioli (SCU) 7-5, 6-7 (4), (10-7)
5. Maxime Lacroix (PAC) def. Rick Ruso (SCU) 2-6, 6-1, 3-6
6. Michael Bruggemann (SCU) def. Tyler Black (PAC) 6-3, 6-3