No. 53 Broncos Roll To Second-Straight Shutout
March 24, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 53 Santa Clara men's tennis team blanked UC Riverside, 7-0, today to roll to its second-straight shutout. The Broncos improved to 10-4 on the season with the victory.
The freshmen pair of Tom Pham and Eugene Muchynski decisively beat Sean Peterson and Ryan Stanbury, 8-2, at No. 3 doubles, while the senior duo of Brian Brogan and Jay Wong beat Jonathan Park and Austin Andres, 8-4. Sophomores Andrew Kells and Nicolas Vinel completed the doubles sweep winning 8-4 over Quoc Doan and Michael Conroy.
Santa Clara took five of the six singles matches in straight-sets. At the No. 2 spot, Brogan defeated Park in the first set 7-5 but fell short in the second 4-6. Brogan recovered to take a third-set tiebreaker 10-6.
At No. 3 through No. 6 singles, the Broncos only allowed UC Riverside to win 17 sets between four players. Muchynski was especially dominant, beating Stanbury, 6-0, 6-1. At the top spot, sophomore Kyle Dandan faced a tough first set, winning 7-5, but came back to own the second set 6-1.
Santa Clara returns to the courts on Saturday, Mar. 27 at 12:00 p.m., taking on Montana at the Degheri Tennis Center.
No. 53 Santa Clara 7, UC Riverside 0
1) Jay Wong/Brian Brogan (SCU) d. Jonathan Park/Austin Andres (UCR), 8-4
2) Andrew Kells/Nicolas Vinel (SCU) d. Michael Conroy/Quoc Doan (UCR), 8-4
3) Eugene Muchynski/Tom Pham (SCU) d. Sean Peterson/Ryan Stanbury (UCR), 8-2
1) Kyle Dandan (SCU) d. Quoc Doan (UCR), 7-5, 6-1
2) Brian Brogan (SCU) d. Jonathan Park (UCR, 7-5,4-6, 1-0(6)
3) Jay Wong (SCU) d. Austin Andres (UCR), 6-4, 6-1
4) Andrew Kells (SCU) d. Michael Conroy (UCR), 6-3, 6-2
5) Nicolas Vinel (SCU) d. Sean Peterson (UCR), 6-2, 6-4
6) Eugene Muchynski (SCU) d. Ryan Stanbury (UCR), 6-0, 6-1