Men's Tennis Sweeps Eastern Washington
March 23, 2010
Sweeping doubles and then winning all six singles matches, the No. 43 Santa Clara men's tennis team defeated Eastern Washington 7-0 today at Degheri Tennis Center on a gorgeous sunny afternoon. Win the win, Santa Clara moves to 9-4 and Eastern Washington falls to 5-7. Santa Clara plays UC Riverside, 3-9, on Wed., March 24 at 3 pm at Degheri Tennis Center.
In doubles play vs. Eastern Washington, Santa Clara swept the doubles point with an 8-6 win at No. 1 by Kyle Dandan and Nicolas Vinel; an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles by Brian Brogan and Jay Wong; and another 8-3 victory at No. 3 doubles by Andrew Kells and Grant Fleming.
Playing No. 1 singles, Dandan went up 4-3 in the first set vs. Nico Riego De Dios and held on to win it 6-4. In the second set Dandan continued to play well, winning 6-3.
Falling 6-3 in the first set to Stefan Simikic, Brogan came back strong to win the next two sets at No. 2, 6-1 and 6-3.
Wong defeated his opponent, Fernando Mussolini, 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3 singles; Vinel defeated Flavio Malagutti, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 5 singles; and Tom Pham won easily at No. 6, 6-1, 6-0, vs. Kyle Koetje. At No. 4 singles, Kells defeated Julian Sanchez by winning the tie-breaker in the second set, winning the match 6-2, 7-6.
1. Kyle Dandan (SCU) def. Nico Riego de Dios (EWU), 6-4, 6-3
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Stefan Simikic (EWU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Jay Wong (SCU) def. Fernando Mussolini (EWU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Andrew Kells (SCU) vs. Julian Sanchez (EWU), 6-2, 7-6 "4"
5. Nicolas Vinel (SCU) def. Flavio Malagutti (EWU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Tom Pham (SCU) def. Kyle Koetje (EWU), 6-1, 6-0