Men's Tennis Falls at Cal Poly
March 22, 2009
Winning the doubles point to start the match, Santa Clara couldn't hold on in singles and fell 5-2 at Cal Poly on a windy afternoon in San Luis Obispo. The Mustangs improved to 5-7 with the victory while the Broncos fell to 3-7.
Santa Clara won the doubles point with two wins at No. 1 and 2, winning 8-6 and 9-7, respectively.
In singles play, Cal Poly's Drew Jacobs played at No. 1 for the first time this season in place of injured freshman Andre Dome. Jacobs came out on top with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Santa Clara's Jay Wong.
At No. 2, Kyle Dandan battled hard, but fell 4-6, 6-2, 2-6 to Cal Poly's Andrew Gerst in three sets. Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong battled back from a first set loss to crush Cal Poly's Alexander Sonneson 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 at No. 4 singles.
Santa Clara also fell at No. 3 No. 5 and No. 6.
Cal Poly 5, Santa Clara 2
1. Hirakawa-Wong/Wong (SCU) def. Gerst/Sonesson (CP), 8-6
2. Dandan/Hicks (SCU) def. Jacobs/Wardman (CP), 9-7
3. Foy/Young (CP) def. Burke/Iwanski (SCU), 8-1
1. Drew Jacobs (CP) def. Jay Wong (SCU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Andrew Gerst (CP) def. Kyle Dandan (SCU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3. Blake Wardman (CP) def. Tommy Hicks (SCU), 6-4, 6-1
4. Kenzo Hirakawa-Wong (SCU) def. Alexander Sonneson (CP), 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Robert Foy (CP) def. Charlie Burke (SCU), 6-0, 6-4
6. Darryn Young (CP) def. John Iwanski (SCU), 6-2, 6-1