Men's Tennis Comes Up Short Versus No. 35 Arizona
March 5, 2010
TUCSON, Ariz. - In its first match of this weekend's road trip, the Santa Clara men's tennis team fell to No. 35 Arizona 6-1. The Broncos are now 7-3 on the season and will face Big 12 opponent Nebraska Saturday in Tucson.
The day began with a hard fight for the doubles point. In No. 1 doubles, sophomores Kyle Dandan and Nicolas Vinel faced off against Arizona's Borja Malo and Pat Metham but the sophomore duo was just edged out 8-5. The next matchup to finish was at No. 3 doubles where SCU's Andrew Kells and Grant Fleming put up a strong effort but fell to Andres Arango and Andres Carrasco 8-6.
Having been edged out of the doubles point, the Broncos had a hard time building momentum in singles play. Nicolas Vinel defeated the Wildcats' Geaff Embry 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5 singles and grabbed the only singles victory of the day for Santa Clara.
The Broncos will be back in action on Saturday morning versus Nebraska as they look to bounce back from today's loss. First serve is set for 11 a.m. at University of Arizona's LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
No. 35 Arizona vs. Santa Clara Results
Arizona 6, Santa Clara 1
1. Malo/Metham (UA) def. Dandan/Vinel (Santa Clara) 8-5
2. Brogan/Wong (Santa Clara) def. No. 51 Embry/Hazi (UA) 8-7 (6)
3. Carrasco/Arango (UA) def. Kells/Fleming (Santa Clara) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
1. Jay Goldman (UA) def. Kyle Dandan (Santa Clara) 7-5, 6-1*
2. Andres Arango (UA) def. Brian Brogan (Santa Clara) 6-1, 6-2
3. Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Andrew Kells (Santa Clara) 6-3, 6-2
4. Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Jay Wong (Santa Clara) 6-0, 6-2
5. Nicolas Vinel (Santa Clara) def. Geoff Embry (UA) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Tom Pham (Santa Clara) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,2,5,1,4,6
* Clinched win