Men's Tennis Wins Second Straight WCC Match
Feb. 29, 2004
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The Santa Clara University men's tennis team defeated West Coast Conference opponent Saint Mary's 5-2 this afternoon at Degheri Tennis Center for its second straight league win. The Broncos' record improves to 5-6, 2-1, while the Gaels fall to 2-5, 0-2.
The Broncos swept doubles play, and then took four of six singles matches. Freshman Bobby Rasmussen was the first to close out his win, while juniors Taylor Bedilion and Francisco Zepponi also recorded victories. Gernot Fischer clinched a team victory for the second time in as many days with his 6-4, 6-4 win over Gael Rafael Lopez.
"It was a solid day of tennis," SCU head coach George Husack said. "The doubles matches set the tone for the singles. Saint Mary's is a tough team and they fought. There's also some history between the programs that made this an exciting match. In the end, we were able to take advantage of the opportunities that we had."
The Broncos remain at home at host 33rd-ranked Boise State on Friday at 1:30 p.m.
Santa Clara def. Saint Mary's 5-2
1. Fischer/Chen (SCU) def. Lopez/Marechal (SMC) 8-4
2. Bedilion/Kochanski (SCU) def. Sion/J.J. Whitlinger (SMC) 8-4
3. Zepponi/ Ben Hidalgo (SCU) def. Ferrari/LeBorgne (SMC) 8-2
1. Gernot Fischer (SCU) def. Rafael Lopez (SMC) 6-4, 6-4*
2. Taylor Bedilion (SCU) def. Martin Marechal (SMC) 6-7 (3), 7-5 (10-2)
3. Andre Sion (SMC) def. Erich Chen (SCU) 6-2, 5-7, (10-3)
4. Francisco Zepponi (SCU) def. Vincent LeBorgne (SMC) 6-4, 7-5
5. Adam Fauvre (SMC) def. Eric Kochanski (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) def. Dino Paul Ferrari (SMC) 6-1, 6-3
* Clinched Team Victory