Feb. 14, 2010
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - On Sunday afternoon, the Santa Clara men's tennis team closed out its Las Vegas road trip with a down to the wire 4-3 victory over #74 UNLV. With this second consecutive win the Broncos improve to 5-2 on the season.
The match started off in a battle for the doubles point. SCU's Kyle Dandan and Nicolas Vinel came out on top in the No. 1 doubles position with a 9-8 (11-9) win over UNLV's Mehdi Bouras and Luca Barlocchi. The Broncos were able to seal the doubles point with a strong 8-5 performance from Brian Brogan and Jay Wong over Attila Toth and Matthew Kunkel.
"Kyle and Nicolas got a huge win for us at the No. 1 doubles position," said Santa Clara head coach Derek Mills. "They were able to win in a tie breaker and give us some momentum for the rest of the match. It was great to get a big win against a nationally ranked team on the road. I'm really proud of our guys."
Despite the 1-0 advantage heading into singles play, the battle for big points did not lighten up. Dandan just fell short at the No. 1 position versus the Rebels' Bouras, falling 6-4, 6-4. The Broncos were able to weather the challenge and take three big sets to win the match. Andrew Kells, Vinel, and Pham grabbed tough wins the No. 3, 5, and 6 positions to give the Broncos the final 4-3 victory.
Santa Clara will be back in action looking to extend its win streak next weekend, on Feb. 20, at Sonoma State.
SANTA CLARA 4, #74 UNLV 3
1. Mehdi Bouras (UNLV) def. Kyle Dandan (SC) 6-4, 6-4
2. #102 Luca Barlocchi (UNLV) def. Brian Brogan (SC) 6-3, 4-
6, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Andrew Kells (SC) def. Johannes Markel (UNLV) 6-3, 6-3
4. Attila Toth (UNLV) def. Jay Wong (SC) 7-6 (7-4), 7-5
5. Nicolas Vinel (SC) def. Bernard Schoeman (UNLV) 6-4, 6-4
6. Tom Pham (SC) def. Kasper Konyves (UNLV) 6-3, 7-5
1. Dandan/Vinel (SC) def. Bouras/Barlocchi (UNLV) 9-8 (11-9)
2. Brogan/Wong (SC) def. Toth/Matthew Kunkel (UNLV) 8-5
3. Markel/Schoeman (UNLV) def. Kells/Grant Fleming (SC) 9-8 (7-3)