Broncos Grab Big 5-2 Win Over Idaho
Feb. 13, 2010
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - On Saturday afternoon, the Santa Clara men's tennis team took on the University of Idaho at UNLV and came out with a strong 5-2 victory. Brian Brogan, Andrew Kells, Eugene Muchynski, and Tom Pham all grabbed singles points for the Broncos.
"It was a tough match for us," said Santa Clara head coach Derek Mills. "All singles matches went to three sets and our guys worked hard to come out with big points. This was a good win for us and we are looking forward to our match against UNLV tomorrow."
The Broncos started off doubles play by winning the No. 2 and 3 matches to take the point. Brogan and Jay Wong defeated Idaho's Artem Kuznetsov and Stanislav Glukhov 8-3 at the No. 2 position. Kells and Grant Fleming followed up with a 8-1 victory over Alex Joitoiu and Abid Akbar at the No. 3 spot.
Going into singles up 1-0, SCU pulled out big points down the line to seal the win. All singles matches were pushed to three sets, but Brogan, Kells, Muchynksi, and Pham were able to weather their opponents and pull out four big points to secure the win.
Santa Clara will be back in action in Las Vegas tomorrow, Feb. 14, versus UNLV. First serve is set for 10 a.m. Results will be posted following the match.
Santa Clara 5, Idaho 2
1. Lachlan Reed (IDAHO) def. Kyle Dandan (SC) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
2. Brian Brogan (SC) def. Adrian Simon (IDAHO) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Andrew Kells (SC) def. Stanislav Glukhov (IDAHO) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Alex Joitoiu (IDAHO) def. Jay Wong (SC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
5. Nick Vinel (SC) def. Alan Shin (IDAHO) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Tom Pham (SC) def. Abid Akbar (IDAHO) 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
1. Simon/Reed (IDAHO) def. Dandan/Vinel (SC) 3-2 retired
2. Brogan/Wong (SC) def. Artem Kuznetsov/Glukhov (IDAHO) 8-4
3. Kells/Grant Fleming (SC) def. Akbar/Joitoiu (IDAHO) 8-1