Jan. 31, 2010
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Sunday afternoon the Santa Clara men's tennis team defeated a tough Cal Poly team 6-1. The Broncos were able to bounce back from a 7-0 loss to Cal to improve their record 3-1.
SCU started off the day with hard fought victories at the No. 2 and 3 doubles positions. Pairs of Brian Brogan and Jay Wong at the number 2 position, and Andrew Kells and Grant Fleming playing the number 3 spot came away with 8-6 and 8-5 wins, respectively, to give the Broncos a 1-0 edge going into singles.
On the singles side of play, every match was pushed to the limit, but Santa Clara was able to make big plays to come away with the points. Brogan, Kells, and Nicolas Vinel forced their matches in to three sets to secure points. Wong and freshman Tom Pham were able to take care of Cal Poly's Alexander Sonesson and Robert Foy in two sets winning 6-4, 6-4 and 7-5, 6-2 respectively.
"This was the closest 6-1 match I have ever been apart of," said Bronco head coach Derek Mills. "Cal Poly played really well, but our guys were able to win big points at the right time. We played a tough team and I am proud of our guys coming away with a win."
The Broncos are back in action this week at the SAP Open Pre-Qualification tournament in Los Gatos, Calif. All matches are TBA and will be posted throughout the week. The tournament begins Feb. 1 and continues through Feb. 4.
SCU 6, Cal Poly 1
1. CP Matt Fawcett/Robert Foy def. SCU Kyle Dandan /Nicolas Vinel 9-7
1. CP Matt Fawcett def. SCU Kyle Dandan 6-4, 6-3
2. SCU Brian Brogan def. CP Drew Jacobs 4-6, 7-6(6), 1-0(5)
3. SCU Andrew Kells def. CP Jordan Bridge 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. SCU Jay Wong def. CP Alexander Sonesson 6-4, 6-4
5. SCU Nicolas Vinel def. CP Brian McPhee 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6. SCU Tom Pham def. CP Robert Foy 7-5, 6-2