CLAREMONT, Calif. – No. 6 seed Santa Clara men's tennis fell to No. 2 seed Pepperdine by a score of 4-1 at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center in Claremont, California.
Santa Clara (15-8, 4-5 WCC) lost the doubles point to Pepperdine (13-9, 7-2 WCC). The Waves earned victories on courts one and court two to secure the point. Sophomores Andrew Gu and Kamran Khan led 5-2 on court three but the match went unfinished.
The Waves took a 3-0 lead with wins on court four (6-4, 6-0) and court three (6-2, 6-2). Freshman Vasileios Iliopoulos earned the lone victory for the Broncos with a 6-4, 6-1 win on court five against Jack Van Slyke. Stefan Menichella of Pepperdine clinched the victory for the Waves with his 7-5, 6-4 win on court two.
PEPP 4, SCU 1
April 28, 2017 | Biszantz Family Tennis Center (Claremont, Calif.)
1. Menichella/Van Slyke (PEPP) def. Vasileios Iliopoulos/Connor Garnett (SCU) 6-1
2. Hadlich/Sidney (PEPP) def. Robert Seby/Jesus Barajas (SCU) 6-2
3. Andrew Gu/Kamran Khan (SCU) vs. Pane/Hill (PEPP) 5-2 unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2*
1. Guilherme Hadlich (PEPP) vs. Andrew Gu (SCU) 6-7, 2-2 unfinished
2. Stefan Menichella (PEPP) def. Robert Seby (SCU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Lautaro Pane (PEPP) def. Connor Garnett (SCU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Pedro Iamachkine (PEPP) def. Jesus Tapiador Barajas (SCU) 6-4, 6-0
5. Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Jack Van Slyke (PEPP) 6-4, 6-1
6. Dane Esses (PEPP) vs. Kamran Khan (SCU) 6-4, 2-6, 0-1 unfinished
* - Clinched Victory