MORAGA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's tennis won at St. Mary's on Saturday by a score of 4-1. The Broncos won both their road matches this weekend after beating Pacific 4-3 on Friday.
The Broncos (13-3, 3-2 WCC) won the doubles point over St. Mary's (6-10, 1-3 WCC). Sophomore Robert Seby and freshman Jesus Tapiador Barajas won 7-6 on court two for the Broncos. Sophomores Andrew Gu and Kamran Khan earned a 6-4 win on court three. It is the second straight match they have claimed the doubles point.
SCU earned wins on courts two, four and five to secure the victory while the Gaels' lone win came on court one. Gu defeated Nash Vollenweider on court two by a score of 7-5, 7-5. Barajas' score of 6-1, 6-1 was good for a win on court four over Calvin Jordaan. Freshman Vasileios Iliopoulos won on court five against Manuel Lamelas by a score of 6-4, 6-3. Barajas has won four straight singles matches while Iliopoulos has now won three straight.
Santa Clara returns to Degheri Tennis Center on Friday against Pepperdine at 2 p.m. PT. The Broncos then host Loyola Marymount on Saturday at 11 a.m.
SCU 4, SMC 1
April 1, 2017 | Moraga, Calif.
1. Kesaris/Vollenweider (SMC) def. Iliopoulos/Garnett (SCU) 6-4
2. Seby/Barajas (SCU) def.Lamelas/Campana (SMC) 7-6
3. Gu Khan (SCU) def. Lee/Jordaan (SMC) 6-4
SCU wins doubles point.
1. Damon Kesaris (SMC) def. Robert Seby (SCU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Andrew Gu (SCU) def. Nash Vollenweider (SMC) 7-5, 7-5
3. Matthew Campana (SMC) vs. Connor Garnett (SCU) unfinished
4. Jesus Tapiador Barajas (SCU) def. Calvin Jordaan (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Manuel Lamelas (SMC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jacob Lagman (SMC) vs. Kamran Khan (SCU) unfinished