SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's tennis picked up a close road victory at Pacific on Friday afternoon. The Broncos won their second West Coast Conference match of the season when they defeated the Tigers by a score of 4-3.
The Broncos (12-3, 2-2 WCC) picked up the doubles point over Pacific (8-13, 1-4 WCC). Sophomore Robert Seby and freshman Jesus Tapiador Barajas won 6-2 on court two for the Broncos. Sophomores Andrew Gu and Kamran Khan clicned the doubles point for SCU with a 6-3 win on court three.
The Tigers won the first two singles matches to take a 2-1 lead but freshman Vasileios Iliopoulos tied the score with his 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 win on court five over Ross Watson. Seby gave SCU the lead after his win against Miguel Diaz on court one by a score of 4-6, 6-2, 6-3. The Tigers tied the score again at three but Tapiador Barajas clinched the win for SCU with his 1-6, 7-6, 6-4 win on court four.
Santa Clara returns to action at St. Mary's (CA) at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
SCU 4, PAC 3
March 31, 2017 | Stockton, Calif.
1. El Sallaly/Chinamo (PAC) def. Garnett/ Iliopoulos (SCU) 6-4
2. Seby/ Barajas (SCU) def. Watson/ Diaz (PAC) 6-2
3. Gu/ Khan (SCU) def. Giannini/Ngo (PAC) 6-3
SCU wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Robert Seby (SCU) def. Miguel Diaz (PAC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Alex Giannini (PAC) def. Andrew Gu (SCU) 6-2, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) def. Connor Garnett (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Jesus Barajas (SCU) def. Akram El Sallaly (PAC) 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. Vasileios Iliopoulos (SCU) def. Ross Watson (PAC) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
6. Nathan Hampton (PAC) def. Kamran Khan (SCU) 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 3,6,5,1,2,4*
* - clinched victory