No. 50 Santa Clara Men's Tennis Falls to No. 6 Stanford
by Brandon Rebboah
Click here to view the photo gallery of today's match.
SANTA CLARA, Calif.- After picking up a solid victory over No. 48 Boise State on the first day of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Kickoff Weekend, the No. 50 Santa Clara (3-1) men's tennis program dropped its first dual match of the year to No. 6 Stanford 6-1 .The Broncos finished the weekend with a record of 1-1.
Santa Clara's lone victory came from the junior Tom Pham who defeated Stanford's Stineman 4-6, 7-6 (2), 7-5.
"I am extremley disappointed with the loss, but happy with our effort today," said Santa Clara head coach Derek Mills. "We played hard but lost to a better team today. I am confident that we will be prepared for Fresno State next week".
Overall the Broncos split their dual matches at the ITA Kickoff Weekend. Stanford finished 2-0, Santa Clara finished 1-1, and Boise State finished 1-1 with a victory over Saint Mary's, who dropped both matches.
Check SantaClaraBroncos.com early this week for a full preview on the Broncos matchup with Fresno State.
1) No. 37 Ryan Thacher (STAN) d. Kyle Dandan (SCU) 6-3, 6-0
2) No. 75 Matt Kandath (STAN) d. John Lamble (SCU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
3) Denis Lin (STAN) d. Maxime Armengaud (SCU) 6-3, 6-4
4) John Morrissey (STAN) d. Nicolas Vinel (SCU) 6-7 (2), 6-1, 6-3
5) Tom Pham (SCU) d. Robert Stineman (STAN) 4-6, 7-6 (2), 7-5
6) Daniel Ho (STAN) d. Eugene Muchynski (SCU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
1) Morrissey/Thacher (STAN) d. Lamble/Osintsev (SCU) 8-3
2) Walker Kehrer/Lin (STAN) vs. Dandan/Pham (SCU) DNF
3) Kandath/Stineman (STAN) d. Armenguad/Vinel (SCU) 8-2