April 21, 2007
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University Broncos West Coast Conference Championship hopes were dashed on Saturday afternoon as they lost 4-1 to the University of San Diego in the semifinals. The tournament host Toreros won two out of three doubles matches and three out of four singles matches to earn the victory. Brian Brogan and Jay Wong won in doubles, while Blane Shields picked up a win in singles for the Broncos.
The day started well for the Broncos with Brogan and Wong winning 8-2 at No. 3 doubles over Matt Ozurovich and Ryo Sekiguchi. However, SCU fell in the final two doubles matches 8-3 at No. 1 and 8-5 at No. 2 to lose the doubles point.
Shields brought SCU back with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Ozurich at No. 6. The win gave Shields a 14-2 record in dual matches in 2007 and made the score 3-1 overall.
The Broncos hopes ended at No. 4 singles. In his return to singles after a long lay-off due to a broken hand, Bobby Rasmussen lost a close 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 match to Charles Wolmarans. USD clinched the match with the win to move into the final against Pepperdine.
Santa Clara now faces Saint Mary's on Sunday, April 22 at 12:30 p.m. in the third-place match. The Broncos defeated Saint Mary's 5-2 in Moraga earlier this season.
No. 3 San Diego def. No. 2 Santa Clara 4-1
Doubles: (Order of finish 3, 1, 2)
1. Chris Coetzee/Thomas Liversage (USD) def. Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) 8-3
2. Jonas Mouly/Charles Wolmarans (USD) def. Robert Gallman/Blane Shields (SCU) 8-5
3. Brian Brogan/Jay Wong (SCU) def. Matt Ozurovich/Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) 8-2
Singles: (Order of finish 5, 3, 6, 4)
1. Thomas Liversage (USD) vs. Jan Macek (SCU), DNF
2. Chris Coetzee (USD) vs. Brian Brogan (SCU), DNF
3. Jonas Mouly (USD) def. Jay Wong (SCU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Charles Wolmarans (USD) def. Bobby Rasmussen (SCU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) def. Robert Gallman (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Blane Shields (SCU) def. Matt Ozurovich (USD) 6-3, 6-2