Santa Clara Finishes Off Loyola Marymount 4-1 In First Round Of WCCs
April 21, 2007
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Santa Clara University Broncos completed its first match at the West Coast Conference Championships on Saturday morning, defeating Loyola Marymount 4-1. Entering the day with a 1-0 lead following Robert Gallman's win on Friday, SCU won three out of four matches Saturday to pick up the victory. The win was the 20th of the year for the Broncos, tying the program's all-time record.
With a 1-0 lead entering play, Brian Brogan got the day started with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 2 singles. The match was tied 4-4 in the second set, but Brogan broke Sam Tadevosian and then closed out the match to get SCU a 2-0 lead.
Following a loss at No. 1 by Jan Macek against Nico Terrien, Tommy Hicks got the momentum back for Santa Clara with a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 6. Blane Shields then finished off the match at No. 5, defeating Nikola Petrov 6-3, 3-6, 7-5. Shields led in the third set 5-2, before being broken twice to fall into a 5-5 tie. Shields recovered to win the last two games and clinch the match for the Broncos.
The win sends the Broncos through to semifinals where they will face third seeded San Diego.
No. 2 Santa Clara def. No. 7 Loyola Marymount 4-1
Singles: (Order of finish 4, 2, 1, 6, 5)
1. Nico Terrien (LMU) def. Jan Macek (SCU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
2. Brian Brogan (SCU) def. Sam Tadevosian (LMU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jay Wong (SCU) vs. Jacek Twarowski (LMU), DNF
4. Robert Gallman (SCU) def. Matt Phillips (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Blane Shields (SCU) def. Nikola Petrov (LMU) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
6. Tommy Hicks (SCU) def. Reyniere Roxas (LMU) 6-2, 6-1