Santa Clara Wins Eighth Straight Match With 5-2 Victory Over USF
March 8, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. - The No. 59 Santa Clara men's tennis team continued its impressive roll on Thursday with its eighth straight win, defeating West Coast Conference rival San Francisco 5-2. The singles matches were completed Thursday after being suspended due to weather on Wednesday afternoon. Heading into play on Thursday, the Broncos already had a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point the day before. Freshman Jay Wong led the singles charge with a 6-3, 6-4 win in his first appearance at the No. 2 position and Bobby Rasmussen clinched the match at No. 4.
In doubles on Wednesday, the Broncos captured all three matches, led by Jan Macek and Rassmussen's 15th win of the year. Robert Gallman and Blane Shields remained unbeaten as a doubles combo with a win over Einar Hart and Mitch Del Rosario at No. 2.
Wong was again the catalyst in singles as he was first off the court after defeating Falko Huettenberger in straight sets. Wong has won eight straight singles matches and is now an unbelievable 23-6 on the season. Following a loss at No. 1 by Macek, the Broncos got two more wins from two of the rocks of their lineup. At No. 6 Tommy Hicks won his sixth straight match, winning in straight sets 6-3, 6-3 over Greg Hom. Minutes later Rasmussen equaled Hicks' win streak with a 6-4, 6-1 win of his own to clinch the match for SCU. Gallman picked up the Broncos final win of the day, defeating Asaf Cohen 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) at No. 5.
The Broncos continue their three-match road trip on Sunday, March 11 when they face the Cal Poly Mustangs at 1:00 p.m. PT in San Luis Obispo. SCU has never won a road match against Cal Poly.
No. 59 Santa Clara def. San Francisco 5-2
Doubles: (Order of finish 2, 1, 3)
1. SCU Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen def. USF Matthew Berry/Asaf Cohen 8-6
2. SCU Robert Gallman/Blane Shields def. USF Einar Hart/Mitch Del Rosario 8-4
3. SCU Brian Brogan/Kevin McQuaid def. USF Rainer Nachbauer/Thong Tu 8-6
Singles: (Order of finish 2, 1, 6, 4, 3, 5)
1. USF Matthew Berry def. SCU Jan Macek 6-3, 6-4
2. SCU Jay Wong def USF Falko Huettenberger 6-3, 6-4
3. USF Thong Tu def. SCU Brian Brogan 6-3, 6-0
4. SCU Bobby Rasmussen def. USF Rainer Nachbauer 6-4, 6-1
5. SCU Robert Gallman def. USF Asaf Cohen 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
6. SCU Tommy Hicks def. USF Greg Hom 6-3, 6-3