No. 64 Santa Clara Men's Tennis Wins 7-0 Against WCC Rival Portland
March 2, 2007
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - The No. 64 Santa Clara men's tennis team won its sixth consecutive match with a win over visiting Portland on Friday afternoon at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Broncos swept all six singles matches and won two out of three doubles matches to earn the 7-0 sweep of the Pilots. Both the doubles and singles lineups saw changes, but that did not slow down George Husack's squad.
In doubles, Jan Macek and Bobby Rasmussen moved to the No. 1 spot but they could not keep their hot streak going as they fell 8-5 to Colby Jager and Filip Zivkovic. However, the newly formed teams of Robert Gallman and Blane Shields at No. 2 and Brian Brogan and Kevin McQuaid at No. 3 swept to two wins to give SCU the doubles point.
The Broncos had one of their best performances of the year in the singles matches, winning four straight-set matches and two three-setters to complete the sweep. With Jay Wong sitting out, Robert Gallman moved up to No. 3 and won a tough three-set match 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 against Colby Jager. Bobby Rasmussen, Tommy Hicks and Blane Shields all moved up one spot to No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 and earned two-set wins. Shields clinched the match at No. 6 and remained undefeated in singles dual matches this season at 4-0. Rasmussen and Hicks have both now won four straight matches. Macek also won in straight sets, defeating Filip Zivkovic 6-3, 6-2.
After dropping the first set 6-4 to Jager, Gallman stormed back with a 6-1 second set win before closing out the match 6-3. At the No. 2 position Brogan won a close first set 6-4 and then fell 7-5 in the second, sending the match to a supertiebreaker. Brogan won the tiebreaker 10-5.
The Broncos head to Moraga on Sunday, March 4 for another West Coast Conference match. SCU plays Saint Mary's at 12 noon.
No. 64 Santa Clara def. Portland 7-0
Doubles: (Order of finish 3, 2, 1)
1. POR Colby Jager/Filip Zivkovic def. SCU Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen 8-5
2. SCU Robert Gallman/Blane Shields def. POR Alex Strom/Charlie Yemm 8-5
3. SCU Brian Brogan/Kevin McQuaid def. POR Joel Kincaid/Evan Schleining 8-2
Singles: (Order of finish 1, 4, 6, 5, 2, 3)
1. SCU Jan Macek def. POR Filip Zivkovic 6-3, 6-2
2. SCU Brian Brogan def. POR Alex Strom 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-5)
3. SCU Robert Gallman def. POR Colby Jager 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. SCU Bobby Rasmussen def. POR Joel Kincaid 6-4, 6-1
5. SCU Tommy Hicks def. POR Charlie Yemm 6-2, 6-4
6. SCU Blane Shields def. POR Evan Schleining 6-3, 6-4