Feb. 4, 2007
IRVINE, Calif. - After three straight defeats to top 25 opponents, the Santa Clara men's tennis team responded in resounding fashion on Sunday, defeating No. 74 UC Irvine 6-1 on the road. The Broncos won the doubles point and then swept three straight matches to clinch the match 4-0.
Brian Brogan and Robert Gallman clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 win in doubles over Shimpei Suzuki and Zac Tsai and both Brogan and Gallman won their singles matches decisively to get SCU out to a 3-0 lead. Bobby Rasmussen then clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 5 giving their Broncos their first win over a ranked opponent this season.
In the clinching doubles match, Brogan and Gallman broke Suzuki and Tsai at 5-5 and then served for the set at 7-6. With Gallman serving, the Bronco pair got down 0-30, but got back into the game and pulled it out to win the match and give the Broncos their first doubles point since Jan. 20.
In singles, along with Brogan, Gallman and Rasmussen's straight set wins, junior Blane Shields also had a strong match. Shields stepped in at No. 6 singles for his first singles action of the year. After breezing to a 6-2 win in the first set, he found himself down 5-0 in the second set to Alex Sundling. Shields responded well and won seven straight games to win the set 7-5 and earn a two-set match win.
The Broncos lost their only match of the day at No. 1 singles as Macek dropped another closely-contested match, 7-6 (3), 2-6, 1-0 (11-9) to Aaron Yovan. Jay Wong got back to his winning ways with a three-set win at No. 3. Wong now has 15 wins on the season.
Doubles: (Order of Finish 1, 2, 3)
1. UCI Mustafa Ulukan/Aaron Yovan def. SCU Kevin McQuaid/Blane Shields 8-4
2. SCU Jan Macek/Bobby Rasmussen def. UCI Andrei Radulescu/Alex Sundling 8-4
3. SCU Brian Brogan/Robert Gallman def. UCI Shimpei Suzuki/Zac Tsai 8-6
Singles: (Order of Finish, 4, 2, 5, 6, 1, 3)
1. UCI Aaron Yovan def. SCU Jan Macek 7-6 (3), 2-6, 1-0 (11-9)
2. SCU Brian Brogan def. UCI Shimpei Suzuki 6-2, 6-3
3. SCU Jay Wong def. UCI Victor Lamm 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
4. SCU Robert Gallman def. UCI Mustafa Ulukan 6-2, 6-1
5. SCU Bobby Rasmussen def. UCI Zac Tsai 6-3, 6-2
6. SCU Blane Shields def. UCI Alex Sundling 6-2, 7-5